use "power inline auto"
interface gigabit-switchport 0/1
power inline auto
show power inline
do show power inline (if you are in config mode)
There seemed to be no way to get it removed from the port. I reset it to factory, and then just dropped my config back on to the switch. I think I may have a vlan issue of some sorts. I configure the port and the phone want come up, I believe that port may not be in the correct vlan. I'll have to look in to it further.
I did apply the power inline auto to the port, phone still wouldn't come up. CLI kept showing on the command line, port switched from searching to fault, then fault to searching. not sure exactly whats going on with it. more troubleshooting needed.
A VLAN configuration issue shouldn't prevent the phone from powering up properly, especially if the CLI output when you plug it in states that it is faulting. I would try to troubleshoot to find the common denominator regarding power delivery:
Try a different phone to see if it powers up.
Try a different port on the switch to see if it is the port.
Try to power a different PoE device (wireless access point, video camera, etc.) with the switch.
Try the phone on a different PoE switch.
Try a different ethernet cable.
After a couple of those tests you should be able to determine what is causing the problem and dial it down from there. At least now the switch is attempting to deliver power on the port, but is failing for some reason.
Thanks for all of the troubleshooting tips. The best I can tell is that apparently the port was in switchport mode access. Once I changed it to Switchport mode trunk, and also added the switchport trunk allowed vlan XX which was my vlan for my voip, it came right up. Strange things happen sometimes as I'm more familiar with some of the cisco devices and not Adtran.
Glad you got it resolved!